- Dale Gerlich, a trap shooter, asks: Is fitness important to great trap shooting?
- Bob Palmer, High Performance Trainer and CEO of SportExcel, http://www.sportexcel.ca answers:
- Fitness is important for any sport because of the impact it has on vision, endurance and overall feeling. It also affects your longevity and enjoyment in your sport. Lack of fitness eventually catches up with you in terms health problems.Fitness in clay target sports is a touchy subject as these sports require very little movement. So, theoretically, one could be very much out of shape and still turn in a very good score. As a matter of fact, some very good shooters are heavy people.
- However, I am going to suggest that the more fit you are, the easier time you’ll have shooting, especially on very hot or demanding days. As well, fitness and stamina go hand in hand, especially as you grow older. Most of my clients have regular walking and exercise routines or hit the gym a couple of times a week.Usually young shooters such as yourself, play high school sports and very little thought is given to cross training. However when high school ends it is different. I took up karate at that time in my life and a regular trip to the gym kept me sharp and feeling good.So my vote goes to being fit, having great stamina and staying healthy. I think you’ll find it is a wise policy.
- SportExcel assists trap shooters from all over North America in the art of winning so that they can own their game. Call us to find out about our small group Skype training with 2-4 friends. It’s cost-effective and effective! Call us at 877.967.5747 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.